Who are we?
We are certified doulas trained to support women on an emotional and practical basis and to interact sensitively with all those involved with pregnancy, birth and the early postnatal period.
The role of the birth doula is that of a professional, non-medical birth companion, able to provide:
- continuity of care;
- reassurance and encouragement;
- breathing and relaxation techniques;
- help with labour and birth position; and
- support for the partner.
The role of the postnatal doula is mostly nurturing and can involve:
- support during the transitional period from hospital to home;
- reassuring and supporting the mother;
- help with establishing feeding (breast/bottle);
- care for older siblings, light housework;
- preparing nutritious meals.
Birth and Postnatal Doulas
Some doulas are trained to provide both birth and postnatal doula services. Others can provide one or the other and team with another doula to meet your needs.